Latest

Known for years as a comprehensive journal & blogger under his pseudonym; S-P-L continues the tradition with his "Latest" thread. Keep current with all things Sean related, whether it's news, opinion, or perception straight from a pragmatic point of view.

"And besides, it's bad for your health to smoke (fag or no fag!)."

Links

Gay Military Marriage Proposal

June 6, 2012

Guys!  Check out this adorable proposal video I ran across.  I don’t normally cock my head and say “aw” but this time, I’d be stone cold stoic if I didn’t twitch even just a little.

These proposal videos have been cropping up everywhere.  Remember the days when it was just between two people and the most public part was the cute little “how he proposed” was told to a circle of adoring acquaintances (or is that only something they write in movie scripts to make couples seem more fascinating?)?  Okay, so it’s no secret times have changed and so do traditions along with that notion….

I’m getting away from my point. I posted this in part because I think these references of positive queer life and culture are extremely important even if we, the homosexuals, are the only ones tuning in. Every bit of queer media touches someone somewhere in some good way even if it’s not always blatant. And besides, it’s bad for your health to smoke (fag or no fag!).

Have you ever been proposed to? Have you ever thought about asking someone to spend the rest of your life with you?  Tell me about it in the comments section!  Even in a time when same sex couples aren’t allowed the right of legal marriage everywhere we all still dream of spending our lives with the one man or woman who can make the bad times easier and the best times all that more special!

14 Responses to “Gay Military Marriage Proposal”

1. Ali says:

dammit!!! i hate crying in net cafes… so sweet…

2. Poncho says:

You’re right – I’m not really a “awww” kinda guy, but every now and then…

The only dream I’ve kept over the years has been to share my life with someone more than just a friend or fuckbuddy. So I can’t help feeling a little bit warm and fluffy when I see someone else who seems to have found that for themselves, even in 30 second spots like this. Thanks for brightening my day a little =]

3. Rob Weaver says:

Yes and yes.

4. Barbara says:

Love this.

5. James says:

So this was a “Quit Smoking” ad, done as a man in the military proposing to his guy back home. Sweet! On both counts. Five years ago, no one would have thought to do it THAT way.

6. Phil says:

I’ve been smoke free for 12 days will you marry me :)

7. Scott says:

Awwwww that was so cute

8. Johan says:

This is so sweet!!! I live in Holland where Gay Marriage was almost invented. Although I am already living together with my friend for 30 years in September. We never decided to get married. That is our personal choice. But it is so important to have that choice. To have the opportunity. That is why I am so glad that gay marriage is made possible in more and more states in the USA. Men loving men are not abnormal, that’s for sure!!!!!!!

9. niaaaxoxo says:

Awwwww that’s the sweetest! Hopeless romantic! <3

10. Kiriakos says:

Dear Sean,
    I firstly have to say that you are the most unique person I have ever seen.Secondly,I have to say that I am 16, an that the place where I live is not at all good for me, because I am gay, and people here do not accept it. I am looking forward to move to the U.S. where I believe that these things can actually happen… Congrats to the person who made the video! One needs to be very brave in order to propose like this in public… But when it comes to love, one cares only about the person he loves, and nothing else!!

11. Drew says:

My boyfriend of 3 and a half years just proposed to me a couple weeks ago. Took me out to a wooded area near our place where streamers in my favourite colour and pictures of us were set up. Very romantic!

12. Chayne says:

I was with a guy for a total of 6 yrs. 2 of which was amazing. But then on our 4th year, he blew my mind and proposed. But alas, like every couple, the cons of the relationship outweighed the pros so just before our 2 yr wedding anniversary (which coincided with our 6th anniversary of being together), I had to move out and filed for divorce. I do believe that getting married and spending one’s life with the one they love is great for those who find it and wish them all the best.

13. Will says:

I dreamed of marrying someone just as you said. Then I did. And 15 years later my “always and forever” dumped me and still won’t admit to this day that she had any fault in no longer wanting to be married to me. That did open my eyes to people, both guys and girls. It’s now “never again” to commitment and that works so I can have fun on my own terms. A shattered heart takes a long time to fix the pieces. I’m very happy for anyone who finds their one and only. My parents certainly did – 60 years and going strong.

14. Shirl says:

I was proposed to and, 26 years later, I’m still with my soul mate. Sean, partly because of your blogs and positive work on FB and twitter, it isn’t only homosexuals who tune into the things you post. I’m a middle aged, hetrosexual married woman, so the word is spreading through all walks of life – thankfully. Equality for all is the only way to go and I pledge my full support in hoping we will finally get there.
    Luv